Applications close at 5pm, Friday, December 13, 2019
Title: Senior Analyst (Climate and Environment)
Status: Full-Time, permanent
Reports to: Director of Shareholder Advocacy
Location: Toronto, ON
SHARE is Canada’s leading not-for-profit organization in responsible investment services, research and education. We work with a growing network of institutional investors helping them to develop and implement responsible investment policies and practices and to amplify their voices in support of a sustainable, inclusive and productive economy. SHARE’s shareholder engagement and policy program helps institutional investors become active owners by facilitating constructive shareholder dialogues with companies on a range of issues including the climate crisis, Indigenous reconciliation, decent work and human rights.
We are seeking a Senior Analyst (Climate and Environment) to join our team in Toronto, Ontario.
SUMMARY OF ROLE
The Senior Analyst is responsible for research, analysis, and advocacy in support of SHARE’s shareholder engagement program on environmental, social and governance issues. We are looking for someone who is passionate about and committed to building a more sustainable, inclusive and productive economy and who is looking to contribute to a vibrant values-driven organization. The position requires a strong advocate for the environment that understands the world of finance and capital markets, with demonstrated analytical skills, strategic thinking, excellent communications and research skills.
- Conduct research into environmental, social and governance issues with a special focus on climate change and environmental issues as they relate to publicly-traded corporations and shareholder value;
- Research publicly-traded companies and analyze key disclosures including regulatory filings, sustainability reports, websites and other information;
- Make strategic recommendations about targets, outcomes, timing, focus and activities for each sector and company based on thematic priorities;
- Conduct financial analysis, where appropriate, and business case design;
- Prepare engagement correspondence and client reports;
- Maintain ongoing engagement relationships with company personnel, government and regulatory officials;
- Monitor and analyze responsible investment trends and issues for future action;
- Designing engagement-related research frameworks and methodology and project instructions for junior analysts and clerks;
- Writing and editing public and client communications about engagement themes, companies, including policy briefs;
- Speaking publicly and to media about engagement issues;
- Assisting the Director of Shareholder Engagement; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated analytical and writing skills;
- Strategic thinking;
- Negotiation/communication skills;
- Ability to conduct research on the social, environmental and governance policies and practices of publicly traded corporations, including extensive use of online resources;
- Public speaking;
- Independence and initiative;
- Judgment and mastery of issues and processes;
- Strong organizational and time management skills;
- Ability to organize and maintain records of detailed information; and
- Team-oriented but also able to work independently at a variety of tasks.
- Master’s degree in a relevant field or equivalent experience related to environmental sustainability;
- At least 3 years’ experience in a similar advocacy role;
- Knowledge of business, investment, and/or financial markets in Canada and internationally;
- Interest in responsible investment; and
- Fluency in English. Fluency in French an asset.
The position is based in SHARE’s Toronto office and offers a competitive salary with a generous benefits program, vacation allowance and pension plan. This position is covered by a collective agreement.
No phone inquiries please. We thank all applicants in advance; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to [email protected] by 5pm (Pacific) on December 13, 2019.