Title: Director of Shareholder Advocacy
Status: Full-Time, permanent
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Location: Toronto, ON or Vancouver, BC
SHARE is seeking a Director of Shareholder Advocacy to lead the organization’s shareholder engagement and policy advocacy program and contribute to building the strategy of the organization as a whole. Reporting to SHARE’s Chief Executive Officer, the Director of Shareholder
Advocacy will be responsible for the development, oversight and implementation of SHARE’s engagement and policy advocacy program, which seeks to demonstrably improve corporate sustainability policies and practices.
The ideal candidate will be comfortable leading a team of analysts and being the public face of SHARE’s shareholder engagement and policy work to its growing investor network, media, corporate boards and senior management and the broader responsible investment community.
We are looking for someone who is passionate about and committed to building a more sustainable, inclusive and productive economy and who is looking to contribute to a vibrant values-driven organization. The position requires demonstrated leadership and management skills, comprehensive knowledge of how environmental, social and governance issues are relevant to investors, and the ability to think strategically and communicate effectively. The ability to travel in Canada is a requirement for this position and fluency in French is considered an asset for this role.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Strategy and planning:
• Design and direct SHARE’s shareholder engagement and policy advocacy programs including articulating overall objectives and identifying focus themes and companies;
• Implement an evaluation framework for SHARE’s shareholder engagement and policy advocacy program to help drive a results-driven strategy;
• Make strategic decisions about timing, focus, and activities in each sector and company;
• Identify policy issues and opportunities related to SHARE’s engagement themes and overall mission;
• Design and oversee engagement-related research frameworks, methodology and project instructions for analysts and clerks; and
• Propose new and relevant research/engagement/policy projects and themes.
• Oversight of work on specific engagement theme areas and/or industries, and policy initiatives;
• Provide work direction, training and technical assistance for team work on engagement and research projects;
• Alongside the engagement and policy team, help implement shareholder engagement and policy advocacy with corporate boards, management, governments and regulators;
• Develop and implement ongoing training for analysts, clerks and interns;
• Support the activities of other engagement team members;
• Ensure that engagement activity is properly documented, reported to clients, and records of engagement correspondence maintained;
• Plan and facilitate effective engagement team meetings and discussions;
• Assist the CEO with strategic planning and quarterly board reporting;
• Assist the CEO with annual program budgeting;
• Conduct regular employee performance reviews; and
• Assist the CEO with recruitment and hiring
• Deliver client presentations and communications;
• Coordinate and cooperate with engagement and policy staff in other organizations;
• Maintain ongoing relationships with company personnel;
• Speak publicly and to media about specific engagement and policy issues; and
• Prepare regular public communications regarding SHARE’s engagement themes.
• Demonstrated leadership and management skills;
• Comprehensive knowledge of ESG issues including among the following: climate change, ecosystem services and protection, Indigenous rights, decent work, gender diversity and other core engagement themes;
• Ability to conduct research on topics related to the social, environmental and governance policies and practices of publicly-traded corporations, including extensive use of online resources;
• Excellent writing skills;
• Strong presentation skills in a variety of formal settings including one-on-one, conference audiences, trustee boards and SHARE clients;
• Strategic thinker who demonstrates common sense;
• Ability to organize and maintain records of detailed information;
• Excellent project management, organizational and time management skills; and
• Computer literacy (including MS Office).
• Master’s degree in a relevant field or equivalent experience;
• At least five years’ experience in a senior role in the areas of responsible investment, corporate responsibility or public policy; and
• Fluent in English, knowledge of French an asset.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to [email protected] by 5pm (Pacific) on November 29, 2019. No phone or email enquiries please. We thank all applicants in advance; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.