Title: Analyst, Shareholder Engagement & Policy
Status: Full-time. Permanent.
Reports to: Executive Director
Summary: The Analyst, Shareholder Engagement & Policy undertakes research and program activities in support of SHARE’s shareholder engagement service on social, environmental and governance (ESG) issues. SHARE engages with publicly-traded corporations, regulators and legislators on behalf of a growing group of institutional investors on a range of issues including climate risk, responsible resource development, executive compensation, diversity and decent work. The goal of these engagement efforts is to improve the ESG performance of companies in our clients’ portfolios and help to build a more sustainable, inclusive and productive economy.
This position includes the following responsibilities:
- Conduct research into environmental, social and governance issues as they relate to publicly-traded corporations and shareholder value;
- Research publicly-traded companies and analyze key disclosures including regulatory filings, sustainability reports, websites and other information;
- Develop and maintain contact with relevant issue-oriented organizations;
- Prepare for, and participate in discussions with representatives of publicly-traded companies about environmental, social and governance issues;
- Prepare for, and participate in discussions with regulators and legislators about policy initiatives that support more sustainable, inclusive and productive capital markets;
- Monitor and analyze responsible investment trends and issues for future action;
- Participate in strategy development and planning for SHARE’s engagement and policy program;
- Maintain records of engagement and policy activity;
- Assist the Manager of Shareholder Engagement & Policy;
- Prepare engagement correspondence and client reports;
- Draft briefs, policy submissions and thematic reports;
- Generate content for monthly e-newsletter; and
- Other duties as assigned.
The Analyst will have the following skills and qualities:
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field or equivalent experience related to corporate governance, human rights, decent work, and diversity issues;
- Demonstrated qualitative and quantitative analytical skills
- Excellent writing skills
- Communicates in a clear, concise, persuasive and accurate manner
- Ability to conduct research on topics related to the social, environmental and governance policies and practices of publicly traded corporations, including extensive use of online resources;
- Knowledge of business, investment, and/or financial markets in Canada
- Experience in policy analysis or advocacy roles;
- Ability to organize and maintain records of detailed information;
- Strong organizational and time management skills;
- Interest in and enthusiasm for responsible investment;
- Fluency in English. Fluency in French an asset;
- Ability to work independently and comfortably at a variety of tasks; and
- Computer literacy (including MS Office).
The position is based in SHARE’s Toronto office and offers a competitive salary with vacation allowance and a 5% RRSP contribution. This position is covered by a collective agreement.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to [email protected] by 5pm ET on November 22, 2018. No phone inquiries please. We thank all applicants in advance; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
For more than 18 years, SHARE has been building responsible investment leadership among institutional investors across Canada. SHARE works with a network of close to 100 institutional investors with more than $22.5 billion in assets under management. By bringing together like-minded investors and amplifying their voices, we seek to build a more sustainable, inclusive and productive economy. SHARE provides individual support, trustee and board education, research, corporate engagement, proxy voting services and policy advocacy to pension funds, religious investors, university endowments, investment managers and foundations.