Associate Director, Education and Advisory
Due Nov. 25, 2022
Please submit a cover letter and resume to [email protected] by 5 pm Pacific Time on Friday, November 25, 2022. No phone or email enquiries, please. We thank all applicants in advance; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Title: Associate Director, Education and Advisory
Status: Full-time, permanent
Reports to: Chief Strategy Officer
Location: Toronto, Vancouver or Montreal
SHARE is an award-winning and dynamic Canadian non-profit in the responsible investment field. SHARE is dedicated to mobilizing investor leadership to build a sustainable, inclusive, and productive economy. SHARE provides shareholder engagement, proxy vote analysis, education and training, policy advocacy, and practical research to a network of investors with $95 billion in assets under management. SHARE is the only non-profit, unionized, living-wage-certified shareholder advocacy organization in Canada.
SHARE is seeking an individual passionate about, and committed to building a sustainable, inclusive and productive economy and looking to contribute to a vibrant, values-driven organization. You are familiar with the world of investment and board governance, but want to raise the bar for responsible investment by helping institutional investors address systemic risks and opportunities like the climate crisis and growing inequality.
As SHARE’s Associate Director, Education and Advisory, you will play a key role in developing SHARE’s responsible investment education and advisory services. The successful candidate will support pension trustees and other asset owner governing boards (e.g., foundations, Indigenous trusts, universities) in the area of responsible investment, including education, policy development and action related to climate change, inequality and workers’ rights, and managing environmental, social and governance (ESG) risks and opportunities in alternative asset classes.
Working with the Chief Strategy Officer, the Associate Director will lead the development of responsive, innovative and effective programs and services, play a leading role in developing a program for SHARE’s annual Investor Summit, and help SHARE to communicate effectively about its mission and the work our clients and partners are doing together.
The key responsibilities outlined below are descriptive in nature and are not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks, and duties.
The Associate Director’s responsibilities include:
- Implement the workplan for SHARE’s education and advisory services, including the ongoing development of new service offerings and products where appropriate.
- Work closely with SHARE’s institutional investor clients in embedding responsible investment into investment policies, and service provider hiring and oversight.
- Lead the development of SHARE’s annual Investor Summit including coordinating a staff planning committee, developing an agenda, identifying speakers, securing sponsorships, and overseeing logistical arrangements.
- Prepare and oversee the preparation of responsible investment curriculum, tools and resources to support investor education and mobilization on responsible investment.
- Make exciting and insightful presentations to clients, conferences and media.
- Oversee the efficient and effective delivery of SHARE’s affiliate program including its growth and expansion.
- Support the Chief Strategy Officer and CEO in business development activities.
- Oversee SHARE’s communications team and provide leadership and support in implementing SHARE’s communication strategy to ensure the consistent promotion of SHARE’s strategic narrative and mission.
- Contribute to the development of strategies and systems to support a dynamic and growing program.
- Participate in SHARE’s management team and contribute to decisions and work related to strategic priorities, business development, office protocols, and human resources.
- Strategic thinking; common sense; political acuity, discretion and tact
- Demonstrated leadership and management skills
- Demonstrated ability to communicate professionally and effectively with senior decision-makers
- Knowledge of investment and fund governance issues including a sound understanding of the role of trustees in responsible investment
- Familiarity and experience working with asset owner boards including trustees and investment committee members
- Creative and effective design and delivery of adult education and conference programming using a variety of methods
- Strong decision-making abilities and problem-solving skills
- Strong presentation skills in a variety of formal settings including conferences, board meetings and via virtual platforms
- Understanding of relevant thematic priorities, such as labour rights; racial equity; Indigenous rights and reconciliation; and climate change.
- Excellent record keeping, organizational and time management skills, including the ability to set priorities and balance competing deadlines and pressures.
- Team-oriented but also able to work independently at a variety of tasks
- Strong computer proficiency, including with cloud-based collaboration tools, CRM databases, Microsoft Suite, and relevant database and data analysis tools
The Associate Director will have the following skills and qualifications:
- Master’s degree in a related field or equivalent experience
- Minimum seven years’ working experience in responsible investment, investment consulting, or governance education
- Willing to travel nationally and internationally if required
- Experience in workshop and/or conference planning and educational methodologies
- Fluency in English is required. Fluency in French is a very strong asset
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Competitive non-profit salary is offered commensurate with experience.
- Full vaccination against the Covid-19 virus is required of all SHARE employees.
- SHARE offers all employees a comprehensive employer-paid health benefits package, employer-matched contribution to a defined benefit pension plan through DbPlus, support for professional development, and an annual fitness benefit.
- SHARE has adopted a hybrid workplace model. Regular in-office attendance in a SHARE office will be required, but employees are also allowed to work from home for part of the time, and are provided with equipment and appropriate subsidies.
- Occasional overnight and international travel required.
- SHARE’s Vancouver office is located on the unceded territory of the xʷməθkwəy̓əm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish), and Səl̓ílwətaʔ (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations. SHARE’s Toronto office is located in the territories of the Mississaugas of the Credit, Anishnabeg, Chippewa, Haudenosaunee and Wendat peoples.
- SHARE strives to embody its values of fairness, inclusion and justice in its hiring and employment practices and is strongly committed to employment equity.
- SHARE seeks qualified candidates who share our commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion. While all qualified candidates are invited to apply, we particularly welcome applications from women, persons with disabilities, candidates who are black, Indigenous, or people of colour and LGBTQ+ candidates.