- This event has passed.
Lessons from the Financial Crisis: Governance Gaps and Strategies for the Future
May 19, 2010 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
This event held in conjunction with the SFU CIBC Centre for Corporate Governance and Risk Management will feature Damon Silvers, Director of Policy and Special Counsel, AFL-CIO, and Edward J. Waitzer, Jarislowsky-Dimma-Mooney Chair in Corporate Governance and Senior Partner, Stikeman Elliot LLP.
This session will discuss:
- The US Experience: The role of the SEC in the 2008 global financial crisis
- Gaps in Canadian regulation
- A call for regulatory reform and an end to short-termism
- The role and priorities of the regulator
- Restoring trust and confidence in investing in markets
- Changes needed to the capital markets to encourage responsible investment
- What lies ahead, and the impact on institutional investors
The discussion will be moderated by Robert Adamson, Executive Director of the CIBC CCGRM.